OpenGL without X, yeah!

ZeAtShuttle zelco at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 20 00:03:57 PDT 2007

hi,

thanks,
that is how i feel too, it took me 6 months of constant search of the internet to find it, or at least, a way to make somehow something like that... i couldnt have believed answer was right in front of me, so to say..

big company, that helped unify graphic standards and invented VESA, had it all along, for the last 3-4 and more years and they released it GPL and LGPL... why no one is using it, i just dont understand!

."FlightSafety / gumstix", stuff like that is on my - *top 5 most interesting things to develop/develop for*
...i could jump up and down and around the room just with thought of flying a motion simulator, as a matter of fact id build one if i had money for hydraulics and space in a garage, i did however invest a lot of time to figure out how those systems work and how to implement simulator software...

and cant -not to mention- this semi/amateur, now commercial project, very inspiring!
not only because of the inventive and relatively cheap design of simulator, but also that old, old flight simulator "game" that i love - F/A-18 Hornet that, if i recall correctly, had to do something with making of X-plane, might be the same guys actually

http://www.flyaces.com/ there should be video of how it works, apparently, us airforce pilots go there and say its great, they can fly team against team ... / i belive some places military/civil have bought/implemented these, so pilots can play *team-work* frag-fest, much like kids on the net with Quake.. hehe

what you make of it, can you estimate roughly the cost of one unit? $10,000? maybe 10 for $70,000? if so that would be nice little business, attraction in town, ARCADE games on a whole new level... just have enough of these '10-packs' installations around the world/city and plug it to internet.. that would make grown-ups go to arcades instead of bowling on a friday night..

now, i always look for something bit different, and in this case, everything is already there - 3D STEREO...  / i'll just say that you can download F/A-18 Hornet (Korea) demo, for mac and win and you can play in 3D STEREO with shutter or red/blue glasses - ITS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!  that old, old game, without texturus (as it was in original) would work on myOS well above 60FPS on 1024x768x32 on all of my test computers and laptops with new and old ati/nvidia GPUs... even 3D stereo option too

..but i couldnt find anyone uses 3d stereo in flight simulators? as a matter of fact it would work on *flyaces* if they just turn it on, it works with tv-panels, but also with projections and maybe the best if you use shutter-glasses built into helmet.. has 3D stereo been tried in simulators world?

>" Right now, I know how to code in OpenGL, but have no idea how to take an embedded command-line only distro of Linux and get some OpenGL code running on it.  Can you help me? "

yes, as long as there is OpenGL driver for that hardware, it doesnt say on wiki, what exactly graphic chip is there?

but for what i see, there is a high chance everything might work as it is... i bet 500 points that it works!

if you can not plug CD there, i could make USB image of myOS or floppy image, or ROM image.. or whatever other image you like  ; -)

dont hestitate to aks, if i can help more,
im not sure tho if we shoud take conversation out of here or should we "'stay" so others to read?

cheers,
zelko

myOS - Miniature, Linux based OpenGL development system
http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html