X11R7.7 download error from Mirror site using FTP

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Sep 14 16:05:30 UTC 2022

On 9/14/22 01:15, Balaji Rajan wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>     I have noted down your observations and valuable suggestions.
>
> My understanding was that X11R7.7 is a cumulative, all encompassed old version
> bundled together in this new X11R7.7.

There is nothing new about X11R7.7 - it's just a set of the individual
components that were released in June 2012, over ten years ago now.

It didn't provide anything over just getting the individual components,
and there was no interest in continuing to provide the X11R7.* releases
so we stopped doing that, and let people just download the individual
component releases instead, as noted on https://www.x.org/wiki/ in the
second paragraph, and on https://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/ at the top.

> Have just one question, since this is an open source, Does the xorg have a list
> of OS distro maker (X11) references since they would notify the org on new
> derivatives of X11.

New versions of X11 packages are announced on the xorg-announce mailing list: