Getting a separate DISPLAY for each screen connected

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Aug 12 16:34:27 UTC 2017

On 08/12/17 12:43 AM, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:

> Btw, I seem to remember back from my university days in the 90-ties that the
> workstations at the uni by default did what we actually want back then, i.e.
> dual monitor workstations came up with DISPLAYs :0.0 and :0.1. But that's a long
> time ago!  :-)

Yes, and back then generally each monitor had it's own graphics controller,
one per graphics card, unlike today where a single chip is controlling
multiple outputs/monitors.

Xorg (when run without any desktop environment or similar controller that
provides its own configuration) still defaults to independent DISPLAYs
per graphics device - but that doesn't help when you want to split the
heads on a single multi-head device.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc