Getting a separate DISPLAY for each screen connected

Tor Rune Skoglund trs at fourc.eu
Sat Aug 12 07:43:23 UTC 2017

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Ben Hildred <42656e at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Tor Rune Skoglund <trs at fourc.eu> wrote:
>> > Been digging a lot to try to find a good solution for my problem here:
>> >
>> > We are using xorg for an "embedded" system, on which we would like to
>> get a
>> > separate DISPLAY setting for each of the computer's gfx connectors. As
>> it is
>> > today, by default HDMI1, HDMI2 and HDMI3 are cloned, By using xrandr
>> and the
>> > left-of and right-of options on the connectors, we are able to extend
>> the
>> > size to span across all the monitor connectors, and the total size of
>> Screen
>> > 0 gets adjusted automatically. (Actually quite impressed by this!)
>> >
>> > However, this is actually not really what we want. We would like each
>> HDMIx
>> > to be a separate display, i.e. HDMI1 should be :0.0, HDMI2 should be
>> :0.1
>> > and HDMI3 should be :0.2 .
>>

> This sounds like something have been working on.
>

>> > This is pure X, no window manager.
>>

> This is not a pecom system by chance?

No, it our own Gentoo-based Linux distro.

> I guess this is a simple config option somewhere.... I will be very
>> grateful
>> > if someone could point me in the right direction. :)
>>
>> Google for zaphod or xinerama configuration.  If you read a xinerama
>> howto, the configuration is the same, just don't enable the xinerama
>> extension.  See here for a sample config:
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/multihead#Xinerama
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> Not so quick, It is not quite so simple. Specifically it could be but
> probably is not in an embedded application because behavior depends on the
> video card. Specifically on one test box equipped with two video cards
>  (one on the motherboard, one in a pcie slot) the first video card could
> not be configured to host multiple screens although it would gladly support
> multiple monitors. The other video card would work either as two screens
> driving two monitors, one screen driving two monitors or as part of a
> shared screen driving four monitors. From my testing on board cards are
> unlikely to support dual screen, addin cards are likely to support dual
> screen and one screen per video card always worked. The arch link is indeed
> a good place to start.

Alex and Ben, thanks for your suggestions. We will look into the arch link.

Actually, is it not "really" an embedded solution since it is running (in
this case) on a standard Lenovo M910q PC meant to be deployed in a kiosk
setup. The PC has two DP connectors and an additional HDMI. xorg detects 3
pipes. (The two DP connectors are connected to HDMI monitors using a
converter, so I guess that is why they show up as HDMI.)

Btw, I seem to remember back from my university days in the 90-ties that
the workstations at the uni by default did what we actually want back then,
i.e. dual monitor workstations came up with DISPLAYs :0.0 and :0.1. But
that's a long time ago!  :-)

>> > System info:
>> >
>> > Intel Kaby Lake chipset: Driver loaded during kernel boot:
>> > # dmesg | grep i915
>> > [    0.947501] [drm] Finished loading i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin (v1.1)
>> > Gentoo - kernel 4.9.41
>> > xorg-server verison 1.19.3
>> > mesa version 17.0.6
>> > No xorg.conf (everything autodetected)
>> > No errors or (relevant) warnings i /var/log/Xorg.0.log. (Except missing
>> > fonts warnings)
>> > Outputs are assigned during xinit:
>> > [   476.723] (--) intel(0): Output HDMI1 using initial mode 1600x1200 on
>> > pipe 0
>> > [   476.723] (--) intel(0): Output HDMI2 using initial mode 1280x1024 on
>> > pipe 1
>> > [   476.723] (--) intel(0): Output HDMI3 using initial mode 1680x1050 on
>> > pipe 2
>> > xrandr --query:
>> >
>> > # DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --query
>> > Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 4560 x 1200, maximum 32767 x 32767
>> > DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>> > DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>> > DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>> > HDMI1 connected 1600x1200+1280+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>> axis)
>> > 410mm x 310mm
>> >    1600x1200     60.00*+
>> >    1280x1024     60.02
>> >    1280x960      60.00
>> >    1024x768      60.00
>> >    800x600       60.32
>> >    640x480       59.94
>> >    720x400       70.08
>> > HDMI2 connected primary 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x
>> axis y
>> > axis) 380mm x 300mm
>> >    1280x1024     60.02*+  75.02
>> >    1152x864      75.00
>> >    1024x768      75.03    60.00
>> >    800x600       75.00    60.32
>> >    640x480       75.00    59.94
>> >    720x400       70.08
>> > HDMI3 connected 1680x1050+2880+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>> axis)
>> > 470mm x 300mm
>> >    1680x1050     59.95*+
>> >    1280x1024     75.02    60.02
>> >    1152x864      75.00
>> >    1024x768      75.03    60.00
>> >    800x600       75.00    60.32
>> >    640x480       75.00    59.94
>> >    720x400       70.08
>> > VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Tor Rune Skoglund, trs at fourc.eu

> --
> Ben Hildred