Bug (?) in compose

JC Ahangama jc at ahangama.com
Mon Oct 3 13:31:07 UTC 2016

I am commenting solely about ligatures and how fonts define them.

There are several kinds of ligatures you can define in a font. They are
all drawn in the Private Use Area and accessed via glyph substitution
tables. (You can make these tables using Microsoft's VOLT program).
Lately, I see that if the character code assigned a glyph is not from
the Unicode set, it is presumed to belong to PUA.

The substitutions for standard ligatures will happen without any
intervention by the application you use, even inside Microsoft Notepad
and all editors in the Mac and Linux. Unfortunately, Microsoft Word (not
Excel) still thinks Standard ligatures are not standard but have to be
invoked by an Open Type setting. Obviously, somebody misinterpreted the
standard they originally wrote. Also, in the Microsoft environment, the
default encoding for plain text is ANSI. For consistent rendering,
anything outside American English should be encoded as UTF-8.

GERMAN:
A Fraktur font ought to work perfectly if the ligatures are invoked as
Standard ones. There is a complication with Eszett, though. Wikipedia
gives the orthographic rule for Eszett as the shape of ss following long
vowels and diphthongs. So, a substitution table needs to be made to
enforce this rule. If for some reason this combination needs to be
overridden, then the hidden character ZWNJ can be inserted between the
two s letters. So, the keyboard needs to have a key to type the
Zero-width-non-joiner.

I made a font with 2500 ligatures to enforce the Sanskrit orthography
for the Singhala script. It is actually, Romanized Singhala, much like
Icelandic, optionally displayed using a Singhala smart font. By 2008,
all browsers honored the formation of its Standard ligatures. Observe
the concept here:
http://ahangama.com/edit.htm

type this: 'vaarþþa' and then add an extra 'a' at the end to see how the
complex ligature forms.

Thanks

JC