Remote OpenGL

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at earborg.com
Fri May 27 01:56:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, 26 May 2016 23:43:05 +0000
"Cook, Rich" <cook47 at llnl.gov> wrote:

>The point here is that today it is being *disabled* and in the future
>it is completely *going away.*  Anyone care to argue with that?  I'd
>love to be wrong about it.
>
>> On May 26, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 09:14 +0200, Laurent Lamalle wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have just discovered, through the x11-users at lists.apple.com
>>> mailing list, that Xorg deprecated some software component (IGLX?)
>>> necessary for remote OpenGL viewing.
>>
>> As I just said:
>>
>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2016-May/058072.html
>>
>> Another awkward thing about this, I suppose, is that on OSX the X
>> server is started implicitly on demand and there's no reasonable way
>> to configure things like command line options. And, that there's no
>> direct rendering support to be had on OSX. So we could probably
>> reasonably change those defaults for that platform, since the
>> opportunity for privilege escalation is lower as X11.app runs
>> unprivileged.
>>
>> - ajax

This thread got me thinking.

If it does go away, possibly this could be useful for what you're doing?
https://github.com/VirtualGL/virtualgl

I'm also interested in how you're using iglx. Can you point me to how
it's used?

I have certain software that must use opengl, and it runs on windows. I
had to stand up a separate box just for that application, as I run
Linux everywhere else. I could not make it work in a KVM VM due to no
opengl capability in KVM (I won't use vmware).

Do you think with either iglx, or maybe the software linked above this
would work for my needs, and then I can get rid of this extra physical
box generating heat and sucking electricity for a single application?

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry