Remote OpenGL

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Thu May 26 23:43:05 UTC 2016

The point here is that today it is being *disabled* and in the future it is completely *going away.*  Anyone care to argue with that?  I'd love to be wrong about it.

> On May 26, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 09:14 +0200, Laurent Lamalle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just discovered, through the x11-users at lists.apple.com mailing
>> list, that Xorg deprecated some software component (IGLX?) necessary for
>> remote OpenGL viewing.
>
> As I just said:
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2016-May/058072.html
>
> Another awkward thing about this, I suppose, is that on OSX the X server
> is started implicitly on demand and there's no reasonable way to configure
> things like command line options. And, that there's no direct rendering
> support to be had on OSX. So we could probably reasonably change those
> defaults for that platform, since the opportunity for privilege escalation
> is lower as X11.app runs unprivileged.
>
> - ajax

✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Bldg-453 Rm-4024, Mail Stop L-557
7000 East Avenue,  Livermore, CA, 94550, USA
☎ (office) (925) 423-9605
☎ (fax) (925) 423-6961
---
Information Management & Graphics Grp., Services & Development Div., Integrated Computing & Communications Dept.
(opinions expressed herein are mine and not those of LLNL)