unset Xft.dpi how?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:46:59 PDT 2015

On Montag, 12. Oktober 2015 03:05:06 CEST, Felix Miata wrote:
> Thomas Lübking composed on 2015-10-11 20:32 (UTC+0200):

>>> This looks like should be what I'm after, but putting it above '.
>>> /etc/X11/Xsession' in Mint 17.2's /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc effect on
>>> cinnamon-session. Using the following ~/.xinitrc d
>
>> Did you check whether those files are invoked at all by cinnamon?
>
> I have no idea how to find out.
>
>> xinitrc is related to xinit which is used by startx, but desktops tend to
>> operate on their own stuff (eg. startkde doesn't read ~/.xinitrc at all,
>> you would have to explicitly add it to its autostart stuff.
>
>> I know nothing about cinnamon nor Mint, sorry, but if cinnamon-session is
>> (typically) a script, you might find its inclusions there (otherwise best
>> ask cinnamon developers) You could also start a bare X server, xterm and
>> "strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open" to see what files it opens (iff
>> cinnamon-session is an ELF binary!)
>
> I tried this ~/.xinitrc first at a test:
>
> Then I tried:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env bash
> #xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
> export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> echo "Xft.dpi: 120" | xrdb -override
> exec /usr/bin/xterm &
> exec openbox
> #exec cinnamon-session
>
> That got an xterm open, from which I entered xrdb -query | grep Xft to find
> 120, then strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open. Screen went
> black, then I
> was returned to shell prompt from which I ran startx. So next I tried this
> ~/.xinitrc:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env bash
> #xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
> export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> echo "Xft.dpi: 120" | xrdb -override
> exec /usr/bin/xterm &
> #exec openbox
> exec strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open
>
> That got both xterm and cinnamon session going, but left no
> output

exec strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open > /tmp/cinnamon.touches

it's however gonna generate a rather huge file.

No idea whether it's still up to date, but
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=767.0

suggests there's "gnome-session-properties" - it may also fetch this out of some dconf, but yes: asking cinnamon expoerts sounds like a good idea.

Cheers,
Thomas