unset Xft.dpi how?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 12 00:23:21 PDT 2015

Thomas Lübking composed on 2015-10-12 08:46 (UTC+0200):

Thanks again!

>> I tried this ~/.xinitrc first at a test:

>> Then I tried:

>> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>> #xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
>> export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> echo "Xft.dpi: 120" | xrdb -override
>> exec /usr/bin/xterm &
>> exec openbox
>> #exec cinnamon-session

>> That got an xterm open, from which I entered xrdb -query | grep Xft to find
>> 120, then strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open. Screen went
>> black, then I
>> was returned to shell prompt from which I ran startx. So next I tried this
>> ~/.xinitrc:

>> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>> #xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
>> export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> echo "Xft.dpi: 120" | xrdb -override
>> exec /usr/bin/xterm &
>> #exec openbox
>> exec strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open

>> That got both xterm and cinnamon session going, but left no
>> output

> exec strace cinnamon-session 2>&1 | grep open > /tmp/cinnamon.touches

> it's however gonna generate a rather huge file.

> No idea whether it's still up to date, but
> https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=767.0

> suggests there's "gnome-session-properties" - it may also fetch this out of some dconf, but yes: asking cinnamon expoerts sounds like a good idea.

After reading http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=186189 and a
fruitless full disk search for text files containing either Xft.dpi or
gtk-xft-dpi I abandoned the idea that Cinnamon might be different from Gnome,
which hard codes 96 DPI, apparently through use of Xft.dpi.

So, I reallocated the space on which I had installed Mint/Cinnamon to
LMDE/Mate, which ATM just finished installing. If it turns out that Mate too
is making obfuscated use of Xft.dpi, I'll try pursuing it via your
suggestion. Otherwise, this looks like a dead issue for me. There are enough
other DEs that I don't need to waste more time on such hard core 96ers before
such time as they learn what A11Y and U7Y are and create easy to discover and
use scaling knobs for people who must have things big enough to see without
having to use giant display screens.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/