xserver-xorg.synaptics question

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:21:12 PDT 2015

On Dienstag, 28. April 2015 19:16:17 CEST, Gene Heskett wrote:

> You missed the point Thomas.  I have a mouse. I want that touchpad
> totally and absolutely nuked

Try
synclient TouchpadOff=1

also see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics#Disable_touchpad_on_mouse_detection

on how to do that when plugging a rodent (distro doesn't matter here, arch and gentoo just have best docs ;-)

> as if it is just an odd colored piece of
> plastic in the panel that does absolutely nothing.
Isn't there even a HW button (maybe behind some Fn) to toggle it?

If it's capacitive (likely) there're also other "hardware" solutions to "turn it off" >-) but synclient is more elegant =)

> This particular version of the pad control, called tpconfig I think, is
... a stupid generic - if you know it's a synaptics device (briefly check Xorg.0.conf) use synclient.

You can (likely) also disable it via xinput.

> But its moot. I am now trying to get lubuntu 14.04-2 LTS to start the

I don't think things are gonna change because you switch to yet-another-ubuntu-derivate ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas