Optimizing behaviour of Synaptics Clickpad on Sony Vaio Z13

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jan 2 17:27:59 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 04:33:31PM +0100, Markus Ellinger wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Linux Mint Nadia which ships with X.Org 1.13.0 on a Sony
> Vaio Z13. I experience two problems with the Synaptics driver which
> do not occur on the Windows 7 Professional installation on the same
> machine:
>
> 1. Moving the mouse pointer using the touchpad works fine, however,
> everytime when I release the finger from the touchpad, the mouse
> pointer "jumps" a little bit from its reached position. I guess this
> is because I do not release the finger steady enough and thus
> releasing the finger triggers some additional mouse pointer
> movement. This really is annoying because e.g. when I hover on a
> button, then release the finger to tap the button, often the mouse
> pointer jumps away from the button and the tap clicks the wrong
> button. Is there any way to tell the Synaptics driver in X.org to
> ignore movements when the finger is released? The Synaptics Windows
> driver does not have this problem, here when I release the finger,
> the mouse pointer never jumps. I already tried to play with some
> synclient options but to no avail.

I suspect the cause for this is more the natural shape of your finger. as
you press down, the contact surface increases, and the hotspot you get is
somewhere in the middle. as you release, the contact surface changes and you
get the jump. I can see this here and it's related to how hard you press
before releasing. the harder, the bigger the jump.

there isn't really anything you can tune in the settings for this particular
behaviour. the hysteresis options will help a bit, but hinder some smaller
movement.

really what we need here is some pressure-based smoothening, to prevent
cursor jumps if the pressure changes.

> 2. The Sony Vaio Z13 has "ClickPad" buttons. They do react to
> clicks, however, the buttons itself are sensitive to cursor
> movements. I tried to set AreaBottomEdge to exclude the button area
> but when I do this, detection of the right button (as facilitated by
> RightButtonArea... settings in synclient) fails. Is there a way to
> exclude the button area from creating pointer movements and still
> allow the right button to work?

you need
http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/12707/

Cheers,