Optimizing behaviour of Synaptics Clickpad on Sony Vaio Z13

Markus Ellinger meyer at mesw.de
Tue Jan 1 07:33:31 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

I am using Linux Mint Nadia which ships with X.Org 1.13.0 on a Sony Vaio
Z13. I experience two problems with the Synaptics driver which do not
occur on the Windows 7 Professional installation on the same machine:

1. Moving the mouse pointer using the touchpad works fine, however,
everytime when I release the finger from the touchpad, the mouse pointer
"jumps" a little bit from its reached position. I guess this is because
I do not release the finger steady enough and thus releasing the finger
triggers some additional mouse pointer movement. This really is annoying
because e.g. when I hover on a button, then release the finger to tap
the button, often the mouse pointer jumps away from the button and the
tap clicks the wrong button. Is there any way to tell the Synaptics
driver in X.org to ignore movements when the finger is released? The
Synaptics Windows driver does not have this problem, here when I release
the finger, the mouse pointer never jumps. I already tried to play with
some synclient options but to no avail.

2. The Sony Vaio Z13 has "ClickPad" buttons. They do react to clicks,
however, the buttons itself are sensitive to cursor movements. I tried
to set AreaBottomEdge to exclude the button area but when I do this,
detection of the right button (as facilitated by RightButtonArea...
settings in synclient) fails. Is there a way to exclude the button area
from creating pointer movements and still allow the right button to work?

Below I'm giving you my synclient settings. Please let me know if you
need any more info.

Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Markus

Parameters given by Synclient version 1.6.2

Parameter settings:
     LeftEdge                = 1772
     RightEdge               = 5468
     TopEdge                 = 1642