Optimizing behaviour of Synaptics Clickpad on Sony Vaio Z13

Markus Ellinger meyer at mesw.de
Thu Jan 3 01:44:38 PST 2013

Peter

thanks for your helpful feedback!

Am 03.01.2013 02:27, schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> I suspect the cause for this is more the natural shape of your finger.
> as you press down, the contact surface increases, and the hotspot you
> get is somewhere in the middle. as you release, the contact surface
> changes and you get the jump. I can see this here and it's related to
> how hard you press before releasing. the harder, the bigger the jump.
> there isn't really anything you can tune in the settings for this
> particular behaviour. the hysteresis options will help a bit, but
> hinder some smaller movement. really what we need here is some
> pressure-based smoothening, to prevent cursor jumps if the pressure
> changes.

I now increased the pressure threshold. Just for the archives, I am
using the following settings:

         Option "FingerHigh" "55"
         Option "FingerLow" "50"

This is high enough to stabilize the mouse position on the end of mouse
movements significantly. The downside is that I am missing an
occassional click here when I tap to lightly.

> you need http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/12707/

Thanks, that's great. If this patch is added, will we still need to
manually set a dead area on the buttons? Or is there a possibility to
change the default config files so that if there are clickpad buttons,
those are automatically marked as "dead area"?

Cheers,
Markus