Newbie question: multi-seat advice needed

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Apr 13 07:40:24 PDT 2012

On 2012/04/13 15:46, Yan Seiner wrote:
> I have a system with 3 video cards:
>
> 01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34GL [Quadro
> NVS 280 PCI] (rev a1)
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS
> 285] (rev a1)
> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce
> 9500 GT] (rev a1)
>
> I just upgraded to the latest ubuntu, which comes with a recent xorg:
>
> X.Org X Server 1.10.4
> Release Date: 2011-08-19
>
> I am somewhat confused (actually really confused) on the status of
> xorg.conf.
>
> I read that xorg.conf is deprecated and that I should use xorg.conf.d
> - but at the same time X -configure creates an xorg.conf...
>
> Can I just go ahead and use xorg.conf to set up my 3 heads?  I need to
> create it manually as this will be a multi-seat machine.  I plan to
> create 3 different layouts and start X for each seat that way.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Yan

Hi Yan,
I too was waiting for GDM to get it's butt into gear, but as far as I've
been made to understand, it is "broken" for multi-seat (until 3.4
release? please someone correct me).

I am watching Fedora 17 which will be released early May, because it
drops consolekit and enables automatic multiseat support.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ckremoval

Me? I can't wait because most of my production machines have been stuck
on an old ubuntu, thanks to multiseat being broken.

HTH,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za