Newbie question: multi-seat advice needed

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Apr 13 08:31:22 PDT 2012

On Fri, April 13, 2012 7:40 am, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> On 2012/04/13 15:46, Yan Seiner wrote:
>> I have a system with 3 video cards:
>>
>> 01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34GL [Quadro
>> NVS 280 PCI] (rev a1)
>> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS
>> 285] (rev a1)
>> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce
>> 9500 GT] (rev a1)
>>
>> I just upgraded to the latest ubuntu, which comes with a recent xorg:
>>
>> X.Org X Server 1.10.4
>> Release Date: 2011-08-19
>>
>> I am somewhat confused (actually really confused) on the status of
>> xorg.conf.
>>
>> I read that xorg.conf is deprecated and that I should use xorg.conf.d
>> - but at the same time X -configure creates an xorg.conf...
>>
>> Can I just go ahead and use xorg.conf to set up my 3 heads?  I need to
>> create it manually as this will be a multi-seat machine.  I plan to
>> create 3 different layouts and start X for each seat that way.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Yan
>>
> Hi Yan,
> I too was waiting for GDM to get it's butt into gear, but as far as I've
> been made to understand, it is "broken" for multi-seat (until 3.4
> release? please someone correct me).
>
> I am watching Fedora 17 which will be released early May, because it
> drops consolekit and enables automatic multiseat support.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ckremoval
>
> Me? I can't wait because most of my production machines have been stuck
> on an old ubuntu, thanks to multiseat being broken.

>From what i understand, kdm still supports multiseat.  Anyway, in my
special case, I have 3 fixed users on 3 fixed heads, so I can start X on
boot on each head and I don't have to worry about logins.

I am trying to figure out how to configure xorg to tie the right input
device to the right head.....  And if xorg.conf is the correct place to do
so.

--
On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not