Newbie question: multi-seat advice needed

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Apr 13 06:46:14 PDT 2012

I have a system with 3 video cards:

01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34GL [Quadro NVS
280 PCI] (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS
285] (rev a1)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500
GT] (rev a1)

 I just upgraded to the latest ubuntu, which comes with a recent xorg:

X.Org X Server 1.10.4
Release Date: 2011-08-19

I am somewhat confused (actually really confused) on the status of
xorg.conf.

I read that xorg.conf is deprecated and that I should use xorg.conf.d -
but at the same time X -configure creates an xorg.conf...

Can I just go ahead and use xorg.conf to set up my 3 heads?  I need to
create it manually as this will be a multi-seat machine.  I plan to
create 3 different layouts and start X for each seat that way.

Thanks,

--Yan

--
Help us raise money for my kids' swim team!

http://www.facebook.com/RiverRoadKids4Kids