Picture or Sound Problems - depending on the EDID

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Jan 16 20:17:17 PST 2011

On Jan 16, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Hendrik Friedel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with my LG TV hooked up to an nvidia 8300 card, that I'm using for watching TV via VDR.
> When using the TVs edid Data, the picture is always getting black for half a second when zapping to the next channel.
> When using custom edid Data, with the extension Block stripped, this behavior is gone, zapping works without the black screen in between. BUT I get no sound.

Given that the extension block is how host software knows that the monitor supports sound, that's completely unsurprising.

If I had to guess, the host software (by which I mean, nvidia's driver) is being aggressive at changing the InfoFrame that tells the monitor how many audio channels there are, and the monitor treats that as a full mode change and not just an audio config change.  But that's shooting in the dark.

- ajax