Picture or Sound Problems - depending on the EDID

Hendrik Friedel hendrik at friedels.name
Sun Jan 16 23:07:40 PST 2011

Hello Adam,

thanks for your reply.

>> I'm having a problem with my LG TV hooked up to an nvidia 8300 card, that I'm using for watching TV via VDR.
>> When using the TVs edid Data, the picture is always getting black for half a second when zapping to the next channel.
>> When using custom edid Data, with the extension Block stripped, this behavior is gone, zapping works without the black screen in between. BUT I get no sound.
>
> Given that the extension block is how host software knows that the monitor supports sound, that's completely unsurprising.

Right. But that's not the only thing, the extension block defines. AFAIK
it also defines additional resolutions. So, it can be either caused by
the Sound itself, or by the resolutions.

> If I had to guess, the host software (by which I mean, nvidia's driver) is being aggressive at changing the InfoFrame that tells the monitor how many audio channels there are, and the monitor treats that as a full mode change and not just an audio config change.  But that's shooting in the dark.

Well, but it's quite skilled shooting in the dark, I suppose.
Now, if we use this as our hypothesis, what can I do?

One way might be to modify the EDID, so that the TV is only capable of
Stereo. This way, the InfoFrame should not change, right?

Is there a way to really debug this? I.e. grab the contents of the
InfoFrames or get all mode-changes (Video and Audio)?

In order to rule out, that it is the additional resulutions defined in
the extension block: Is there a way to tell the driver to ouput Audio
even without the info Block (up to now, I've only seen the opposite)

Regards,
Hendrik