dead space elimination

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Wed Sep 16 07:20:51 PDT 2009

Le 16/09/2009 16:00, Vincent Legoll a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Jozef Riha<jose1711 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> one more thing. if you plan to go on with patching of Xorg sources,
>> please consider there might be multiple dead areas based on the
>> position of the monitors (e. g. one above and the other one below)
>
> Yes, if I get useful directions (mentoring, hint hint) I'll try to do
> something that work for more than 2 screens, with different
> resolutions, taking screen positionning / rotation into account,
> etc...
>
> I'm even thinking of different warping policies:
> - translate: warp to suitable location on other screen
> - blocking: stay on the current screen, do not enter forbidden area
> - jump into corner of the other screen
>
> but maybe only one of those will feel "natural"

You guys might want to look into what's been done by HCI researchers in
this area.

One such article that comes to mind is "Mouse Ether" [1] which describes
and tries to address the problems of dead space between monitors.

There are many more articles on the topic in various HCI related
conferences, those might definitely be a good start as those folks have
already cleared a lot of theoretical and technical problems.

Hope that helps.

Rémi

[1]
http://www.patrickbaudisch.com/publications/2004-Baudisch-CHI04-MouseEther.pdf