does "radeon" driver support HDMI video?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Jul 12 00:55:18 PDT 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>> You can force outputs on in your xorg.conf

I "solved it" by connecting HDMI cable to a HDMI-DVI converter, and connecting that converter to the video card.
And I used a fglrx driver, too.

I'm not sure if these cards are "too new" for X to handle:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]
02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]
03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]

But I had the following problems with free drivers (at least when both cards are in slots, for a multiseat station):

- with "radeon" driver, machine is hard freezing whenever I exit X (not even a kernel panic, just a total freeze)

- with "radeonhd", it didn't freeze, but I couldn't use both cards at a time - the driver was complaining that
  it couldn't find BIOS for the second card; also, I had some image corruption in KDE 4.3.

But coming back to the HDMI problem, it was not detected by fglrx driver as well.
I think the problem is here that I use a HDMI extender (LevelOne HVE-9001, over cat. 5e cable),
which does not seem to follow HDMI specs fully. What's interesting, if I start X with HDMI cable connected to the
monitor directly, and then changed to HDMI extender, I could still see the video correctly.
That's why I thought "forcing" HDMI output would help here (fglrx has such an option, but it can't use it
when randr is used, go figure).

That's on a DX58SO Intel board with the latest BIOS updates.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org