Intel/G45/1080 tearing

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Jan 14 12:04:12 PST 2009

Hi Anthony

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:35:24 -0800
"Anthony Arobone" <aaroboneml at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to stay up to date on the intel drivers/known bugs,
> but I continue to have 1080 tearing.  Here is my setup:
> I have Xorg setup for 1080p output to a plasma tv via hdmi, and that
> works great.  I use Mythtv to play video content (with and without
> vsync checked) but I get the same tearing even when using mplayer -vo
> xv.  The horizontal tearing only occurs when playing 1080i video and
> it always tears at the same location, about 1/8 of the way down the
> screen from the top.  720p video plays great without any tearing, as
> everything else does that's smaller then 1080 as well.

What does
	xvinfo | grep -i Adaptor
reports?
If it reports something like Intel Video Overlay you can just tell
mplayer to use the second adaptor (Video Overlay) and all your problems
are gone. (You can either tell mplayer or tell xorg.conf to prefer
Video Overlay)
If you have only Textured Overlay then you're traped. You will have the
same bug as I do: No Video Overlay for some reason.

cheers Daniel