Xrandr loop with gnome-settings-daemon [WAS: Re: Intel GM45: Loop of continuously triggered output detections]

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 06:30:55 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 15:05 +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Peter Clifton <pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Should gnome-settings-daemon be avoiding retaliating to a notification
> > by requesting XRRGetScreenSizeRange, or should XRRGetScreenSizeRange
> > avoid calling a procedure which will emit another notification?
>
> I'm pretty sure gnome-settings-daemon is doing what it's supposed to
> do here. RandR is designed so that clients are supposed to update
> their information in response to notifications. It's been a while
> since I looked at it though.
>
> I don't think XRRGetScreenSizeRange should generate notifications.

Probably not, but since XRRGetScreenSizeRange turns out to be an
expensive operation (it causes the Intel driver to re-probe its
outputs), its also not ideal that it is being called for every single
change in backlight brightness, and for other non-related Xrandr events.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,