Xrandr loop with gnome-settings-daemon [WAS: Re: Intel GM45: Loop of continuously triggered output detections]

Alberto Milone albertomilone at alice.it
Thu Jan 15 09:12:06 PST 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 15:30:55 Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 15:05 +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> > Peter Clifton <pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > > Should gnome-settings-daemon be avoiding retaliating to a notification
> > > by requesting XRRGetScreenSizeRange, or should XRRGetScreenSizeRange
> > > avoid calling a procedure which will emit another notification?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure gnome-settings-daemon is doing what it's supposed to
> > do here. RandR is designed so that clients are supposed to update
> > their information in response to notifications. It's been a while
> > since I looked at it though.
> >
> > I don't think XRRGetScreenSizeRange should generate notifications.
>
> Probably not, but since XRRGetScreenSizeRange turns out to be an
> expensive operation (it causes the Intel driver to re-probe its
> outputs), its also not ideal that it is being called for every single
> change in backlight brightness, and for other non-related Xrandr events.
>
> Best wishes,

I have noticed that if I prevent both "gnome-settings-daemon" and "gnome-
power-manager" from listening to RandR I can't reproduce the loop.

Furthermore, accoring the following bug report, it looks like the problem can
be reproduced only with libxrandr2 1.2.99.2 or higher while it works well with
1.2.3-1:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxrandr/+bug/307306

Any ideas on this or on where I could look in libxrandr's code?

Regards,

Alberto Milone