[EDIT] Why do I need mouse acceleration to move windows and click buttons?

Ben Gamari bgamari at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 08:56:07 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Dirk <noisyb at gmx.net> wrote:
> Are you f&^$ing kidding me? :O
No, I'm not. It's a perfectly valid question.

> By "disable" I mean I want "NO" mouse acceleration...
With no mouse acceleration your cursor wouldn't move. Recall that
acceleration is the second time derivative of position. I shouldn't
have to say any more.

> How can you have
> missunderstood that except someone took a dump in your brain?
I'm going to try to ignore this. I'll give you a hint: comments like
this don't make me any more likely to give you the answer you're
looking for.

> The bottom sticker of my mouse says 2000 DPI... so I want to move the
> pointer 2000 pixels when i move the mouse an inch... NO MATTER HOW FAST I
> MOVE THE MOUSE.
These are device pixels, not screen pixels. I really hope you didn't
need me to explain this.

> Why isn't that possible?
It is, you simply need to be willing to be civil.

Lucky for you, Xorg recently had an excellent rework of its pointer
motion code merged. You can find this documented at
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration.
It sounds like you want the AccelerationScheme=None option.

> Dirk
>

> Ben Gamari wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "disable" mouse acceleration? Do you mean you want
>> infinite acceleration (move X input device units translates the cursor
>> a*X screen units)?
>>
>> - Ben
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Dirk <noisyb at gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Why is it impossible to permanently disable Mouse acceleration?
>>>
>>> I run xorg with KDE, Gnome and fvwm1... and use xset to disable it but
>>> the Mouse acceleration gets enabled again and again by some process...
>>> Not just on my machine...
>>>
>>> This turns Linux into a lousy choice for competetive gaming.
>>>
>>> Do I really have to compile xorg myself to make sure mouse acceleration
>>> is disabled and STAYS disabled?
>>>
>>> Why do I need Mouse acceleration to move windows and click buttons
>>> anyways?
>>>
>>> I would really like to have an option in xorg.conf that would disable
>>> this permanently(!)...
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Dirk