[Xlib] Saving state before an unmap

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Feb 16 01:54:13 PST 2009

On Friday 13 of February 2009, Andrew Troschinetz wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:13 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > I think you should try to find somewhere a good description of what
> > a window
> > manager is, and specifically why it has 'manager' in its name - it
> > is the
> > window manager that is eventually in control of the windows and not
> > the other
> > way around. The more complicated things you try the more likely is
> > that the
> > window manager will have a different idea about it, so I suggest you
> > instead
> > consider to try to add your wanted features to your favorite window
> > manager.
>
> Sigh. It's not productive for anyone here to be condescending.

 If that's what you call saying that things are the way things are. The window
manager is eventually the one in control of all the windows, hence the name,
and applications just give hints and requests. It is up to the WM to decide
what to do with those and whether at all. I'm sorry that somebody told you to
dig a garden with a pole, if the window managers you will use will be lenient
enough and you will not want too complex things it may work with enough
hacks, but it still doesn't change anything about the fact that you're trying
to dig a garden with a pole. But if you want to find out on your own, fair
enough.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz