[Xlib] Saving state before an unmap

Andrew Troschinetz ast at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 16 07:19:40 PST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 3:54 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> On Friday 13 of February 2009, Andrew Troschinetz wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:13 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>>> I think you should try to find somewhere a good description of
>>> what a window manager is, and specifically why it has 'manager' in
>>> its name - it is the window manager that is eventually in control
>>> of the windows and not the other way around. The more complicated
>>> things you try the more likely is that the window manager will
>>> have a different idea about it, so I suggest you instead consider
>>> to try to add your wanted features to your favorite window manager.
>>
>> Sigh. It's not productive for anyone here to be condescending.
>
> If that's what you call saying that things are the way things are.
> The window
> manager is eventually the one in control of all the windows, hence
> the name,
> and applications just give hints and requests. It is up to the WM to
> decide
> what to do with those and whether at all. I'm sorry that somebody
> told you to
> dig a garden with a pole, if the window managers you will use will
> be lenient
> enough and you will not want too complex things it may work with
> enough
> hacks, but it still doesn't change anything about the fact that
> you're trying
> to dig a garden with a pole. But if you want to find out on your
> own, fair
> enough.

I don't believe the point you're making in any way addresses my
expressed goals. I would point out that 99% of the library I've
written to solve the issues I'm facing is exactly the functionality of
GNOME libwnck. From the description of the project libwnck is meant to
be "used to implement pagers, tasklists, and other such things." Which
is essentially what I'm trying to do. You wouldn't call being able to
raise a window by clicking on its icon in a pager digging a garden
with a pole, would you? Well instead of a pager I have a menubar, it's
not that different.

However libwnck is for GNOME, I am attempting to do something lower-
lever that will work (whenever possible or fail silently) on GNOME and
Motif (at the least -- however I would like to note that I have done
some cursory testing on KDE as well and it seems to work fine there
too).

I realize that all I can do is set hints and make requests. However
those actions have concrete results in terms of WM response. The only
thing that matters to me is figuring out exactly how to prod the WM in
such a way as to get the responses I need. I'm sorry if it horrifies
you that I'm making my WM work for me, rather than against me.

--
Andrew Troschinetz
Applied Research Laboratories