very slow performance of glxgears (68 fps)

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:56:19 PST 2009

2009/2/5 Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>:

>> > glxgears is not a benchmark.
>> >
>> > We sync to vblank because running glxgears at 1000fps is dumb.
>>
>> I am going to go out on a limb and guess we're going to see a crapload
>> of reports of "performance regression" due to reduced glxgears frame
>> rates.
>
> At openSUSE we print out a warning now (well, this change went into
> *after* 11.1, unfortunately), that this is not a benchmark. We got really
> tired of these statements.

Except that it _is_ a benchmark.  Or rather waas before the change.
You can argue that it's not an accurate benchmark, but even on the
kernel mailing lists I've seen it used as a crude benchmark.

If for example, without vsync, a user gets just 100fps on their new
nvidia card, then that is clearly showing that something is wrong.