very slow performance of glxgears (68 fps)

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Feb 18 06:18:13 PST 2009

On Feb 06, 09 01:56:19 +0000, John Tapsell wrote:
> > At openSUSE we print out a warning now (well, this change went into
> > *after* 11.1, unfortunately), that this is not a benchmark. We got really
> > tired of these statements.
> Except that it _is_ a benchmark.  Or rather waas before the change.

No, it never was.

> If for example, without vsync, a user gets just 100fps on their new
> nvidia card, then that is clearly showing that something is wrong.

So it is a validation tool, but not a benchmark.

A benchmark - by definition - gives you performance figures that can be
compared with other systems, which gives you a reasonable notion of
which of the systems is better.

Which exactly is not the case with glxgears.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de