Software for calibrating a touch screen

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 08:05:04 PDT 2008

Hi All,
  I don't quite know where to publish this, so I figured this list
would be a start. Attached is a program for calibrating a touch
screen. It computes the following parameters:

    'flip_x'
       a boolean parameter that determines if the x-coordinate should
be flipped.

    'flip_y'
       same as 'flip_x' except for the y-coordinate.

    'swap_xy'
       a boolean parameter that determines if the x and y-coordinates should
       be swapped.

    'min_x', 'max_x', 'min_y', and 'max_y'
       the minimum and maximum x and y values that the screen can
report. In principle
       we could get these parameters by letting the user press the
corners of the
       screen. In practice this doesn't work, because the screen
doesn't always have
       sensors at the corners. So, what we do is we ask the user to
press points that
       have been pushed a bit closer to the center, and then we extrapolate the
       parameters.

The program requires that the user clicks on four points in the
screen, and it then prints the parameters. The program requires gtkmm,
and cairomm. I can rewrite in another language/framework if this is a
problem, but I'd rather not. The program is under the same license as
X.

Cheers,
Søren