[news] TWM -- Revised Edition

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 30 10:20:25 PDT 2008

Hello TWM users,

Having tweaked the TWM since last year to turn it into something
contemporary in look and handy in function, today as a landmark of
approaching zero items in my own kept TWM bugs-, todo- and wish-list may
I use the moment to present this humble effort which has kept me pretty
busy in the leisure time since then.

(*) Initially significant emphasis went into introducing and finetuning
Xft truetype font support which is now a per-screen startup configurable
feature.  If e.g. the Xft subsystem is not available TWM automatically
falls back to X11 core font renderer.  (If started with '-truetype' one
can turn Xft off intentionally.)

X11 core font names and Xft font names can be used arbitrarily
intermixed in .twmrc as each font name is first attempted to resolve as
XLFD name and only if this fails, then as Xft name.

(*) Further, sloppy focus is now seamlessly integrated into TWM at its
most core.  In the same sweep the icon manager highlighting now follows
focus and not mouse, making a lot sense for keyboard users caring less
about mouse.

(*) Keyboard-aided mouse navigation has been enhanced as well. It is a
high priority to control TWM comfortably by keyboard (with the exception
of 'f.move', 'f.resize'), so the functions

     f.warpnext, f.warpprev
     f.warpring
     f.forwiconmgr, f.backiconmgr, ...
     f.nexticonmgr, f.previconmgr
     f.warpto "", f.warptoiconmgr ""

all having to do with mouse warping along client windows have been
overworked to expose kind of a unified, consistent behaviour (e.g. all
tied to 'WarpUnmapped', and all respect originally only by 'window-ring'
saved mouse location coordinates).

(*) Invented is 'f.swapiconmgrentry' as a simple mechanism for run-time
icon manager manual sorting which now leads to arbitrary
client-to-client mouse travelling by at most two "keystrokes", using the
icon manager as a switchboard.

(*) There is Xinerama support which can be turned off by '-xinerama'
command line parameter leading to TWM treating the logical screen at
full size (but possibly loosing icon managers, icon regions and client
windows into dead areas).

Into this improvement category belongs 'RandomPlacement' algorithm which
got a preliminary step first looking for an empty area on screen large
enough to fit the window prior to placing it blindly at some 'random'
location.

(*) The '-v' command line option gives some more info on startup and on
'f.identify'.

(*) Last but not least several old bugs have been corrected: most
notably related to multiscreen configurations and to 'f.focus'; and icon
manager navigation functions no longer should occasionally unexpectedly
refuse service, except if rendered dysfunctional by 'NoIconManagers'.

(*) A script of all enhancements (at varying level of detail) is
attached as "NEWS.RevisedEdition" and the man page is uptodate.  (If one
agrees to read one entry in the man page, the 'IconManagerGeometry' is
the item worth a look.)

Keeping up the tradition of X development not to impose policy and even
less taste all visual/functional enhancements are not only tunable but
the .twmrc file if kept as is, leads to no change in TWM traditional
look and function with the exception of (1) coloured icons if provided
by clients; and (2) the semantics of 'WarpCursor' is slightly broadened:
in addition now automatic warping into transient windows of focused
clients occurs if they get mapped.

Though, the whole effort has lead to increase in TWM executable file by
a factor of circa 1.2 which is very unfortunate, the foremost
contributors being (referencing the x86_64 platform)

     Xft  (by ~ 8 Kbytes)
     Xinerama  (~ 8 Kbytes)
     Xrandr  (~ 4 Kbytes)
     sloppy focus  (~ 4 Kbytes)
     visual appearance improvements altogether  ~ 12 Kbytes

Concluding, here are presented various TWM enhancement proposals; anyone
caring I am happy to invite to comment/discuss/review these, and
anything related how to further finetune/improve TWM ... as an X11
window- (not necessarily an office desktop-) manager.  :-)

Let me here in retrospect express my sincere thank you to all guys
having helped to chase bugs and figure out better ways in making TWM better,

     Eeri Kask

P.S. To automatically compile, run
      http://www1.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ek1/TWM-Tweaked.sh