what card is well supported? recommendations?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 23 06:25:09 PDT 2008

Gene Heskett schrieb:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> Tino Keitel schrieb:
>>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:27:29 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> This should help:
>>>
>>> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
>> Thanks. So it looks like chipset R200 should make no problems.
>>
>> Here is also something useful:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units#Rad
>> eon_R200_.288xxx.2C_9xxx.29_series
>
> The data at the above link is stale, and applies to the XFree86 version of X.

You mean the freedesktop.org website, right?
Well, if it's stale, at least I should expect that features were not
removed once present?

>> I think I will buy these cards then (to be installed in a multseat
>> workstation):
>>
>> - AGP: Radeon 9250, 256 MB RAM, user 1, to be used as dual head ("mirror")
>> - PCI: Radeon 9250, 128 MB RAM, user 2
>>

>> Any good/bad experiences with these, or any other remarks?
>
> I'm using a 9200SE with the radeon driver. Dead stable, but no 3d support.  It
> runs everything but google's sketchup with the radeon driver.  The workspace
> of sketchup, due to missing calls in the radeon driver, is left filled with
> random images from the video memory of the card.

According to the site below, your card should have 3D support:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon#head-bb5de723d3bee252c77ae040087d8a4d85bcd22f

Now I'm confused :(

Why doesn't your 9200SE support 3D?

--