what card is well supported? recommendations?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 23 06:16:25 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>Tino Keitel schrieb:
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:27:29 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I looked a bit in X.org wiki, and it seems to me that Radeons with
>>> chipsets R400 should be sufficient for me. Unfortunately it's hard for
>>> me to find which chipset does a given Radeon card have (i.e. HD2400Pro -
>>> does it have R400 chipset?).
>>
>> This should help:
>>
>> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
>
>Thanks. So it looks like chipset R200 should make no problems.
>
>Here is also something useful:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units#Rad
>eon_R200_.288xxx.2C_9xxx.29_series

The data at the above link is stale, and applies to the XFree86 version of X.

>I think I will buy these cards then (to be installed in a multseat
>workstation):
>
>- AGP: Radeon 9250, 256 MB RAM, user 1, to be used as dual head ("mirror")
>- PCI: Radeon 9250, 128 MB RAM, user 2
>

>Any good/bad experiences with these, or any other remarks?

I'm using a 9200SE with the radeon driver. Dead stable, but no 3d support.  It
runs everything but google's sketchup with the radeon driver.  The workspace
of sketchup, due to missing calls in the radeon driver, is left filled with
random images from the video memory of the card.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)