xf86-input-synaptics:master: 1 commit(s)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Sep 11 05:46:46 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 05:55:58PM +0200, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
> I'm asking because of the joystick driver that I maintain and that at
> the moment claims to be XI_MOUSE as well. Should I rather change it to
> "JOYSTICK", define a new atom for that or make it even configurable? I
> still don't know about the impact but I think it might be that some
> applications might refuse to work with devices they don't know about
> (gimp?).

Gimp with a joystick is probably not something for the light-hearted :)

I'd say XI_MOUSE is wrong. JOYSTICK would be good, alternatively you could
also think about having JOYSTICK, GAMEPAD, and whatnot, although as the XI_XYZ
atoms show too many aren't that great either.

Applications that expect XI_MOUSE from a joystick and break can be fixed with
few LOC.

It does leaves the question - should we merge JOYSTICK (etc.) into XI.h as
defaults, or do you think it is better to provide them as part of the joystick
driver?

Cheers,
  Peter