xf86-input-synaptics:master: 1 commit(s)

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Wed Sep 10 08:55:58 PDT 2008

Hi,

Peter Hutterer schrieb:
>> Say, what is this type_name for? In what client program is it used, how
>> did it break KDE?
>>

> From the XI protocol specs:
> ---
> The type field is of type Atom and indicates the nature of the device.
> Clients may determine device types by invoking the XInternAtom request passing
> one of the names defined in the header file XI.h. The following names have
> been defined to date:
>
> MOUSE TABLET KEYBOARD TOUCHSCREEN TOUCHPAD BUTTONBOX BARCODE KNOB_BOX TRACKBALL
> QUADRATURE SPACEBALL DATAGLOVE EYETRACKER CURSORKEYS FOOTMOUSE ID_MODULE
> ONE_KNOB NINE_KNOB
>
> ---
>
> So type is simply a "standardised" identifier. I'm not sure how popular e.g.
> "barcode" or "nine_knob" are, but differing between mouse, touchpad,
> touchscreen, etc. is quite useful.
>
> This change was triggered by Red Hat Bug 324721 [1], where we need
> gnome-mouse-properties to differ between mice and touchpads. This is the
> mechanism in place for it.
I'm asking because of the joystick driver that I maintain and that at
the moment claims to be XI_MOUSE as well. Should I rather change it to
"JOYSTICK", define a new atom for that or make it even configurable? I
still don't know about the impact but I think it might be that some
applications might refuse to work with devices they don't know about
(gimp?).

- Sascha