965G, ADD2 HDMI, Toshiba TV: blank screen, X is operational

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Mar 23 13:09:21 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 12:09 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 08:59 +0000, Nicolas Will wrote:
>
> > http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/intel/nvidia/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > The TV suddenly looks like it is way more chatty.
>
> The nVidia driver found a 60Hz mode in the DI-EXT EDID block. You
> might
> try using that one:
>
> Modeline "1920x1080" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200  1080 1084 1089 1125
> +hsync +vsync
>
> It's a bit concerning that the TV's preferred mode doesn't appear to
> work though; even the nVidia driver selected the 60Hz mode instead of
> the advertised 50Hz mode.

2 tests:

With the above modeline. X starts well, I can control the application
behind without any problem, but the TV shows nothing. It is even worse
than letting the driver do its selection, where you can see the TV
react, somehow, but with the modeline, it desn't move from the
screen-saving blue background.

Conf and logs there:
http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/intel/test-2/

Using a DVI "downgrade" does not change anything in the returned EDID
info, it is still as limited as it is using plain HDMI, but I had been
warned.

I am still wondering about the fact that the nvidia setup sees different
things from the Intel setup...

Nico