965G, ADD2 HDMI, Toshiba TV: blank screen, X is operational

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Mar 23 14:51:39 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 20:09 +0000, Nicolas Will wrote:

> I am still wondering about the fact that the nvidia setup sees different
> things from the Intel setup...

The nVidia driver replaces the core X server EDID parsing code with
custom stuff that includes the ability to decode the EDID extension
block. That's where the additional modes come from.

What's probably going on is that we're not using the HDMI-specific SDVO
operations, so the card is operating in DVI mode, which the TV may not
like. HDMI isn't the same as DVI; it just has a DVI compatibility mode.
SDVO HDMI support is on our list of things to do; I don't know when
we'll find time for it though. Probably not until after the upcoming
X.org release though, I'm afraid.

keith.packard at intel.com