Question about synaptics driver

Paul Vojta vojta at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jul 2 11:49:08 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:26:46AM +0200, Florian Echtler wrote:
> >> use, e.g., "synclient -m 100" to verify this. However, when I place
> >> a second finger on the pad, the f value goes up by one, while the
> >> coordinate stays the same. In fact, I always get the back the
> >> coordinates from the last finger.
> >
> > Not that I know of.  It seems that your touchpad is just "trying to be
> > smart", so that it avoids having the mouse jump when the second finger
> > touches down.
>
> Yes, I know - however, it is exactly that jump which I am trying to detect.
> I vaguely remember something about all advanced features being disabled
> when you access the touchpad via standard PS/2 protocol. What would I have
> to do to try that? Just replace "synaptics" with "mouse" in my xorg.conf?

Depends on your kernel.  If it's linux, you'd need to recompile without
the synaptics driver, otherwise the kernel will still access the touchpad
in "raw" mode and do the translation to PS/2 itself.  But I don't think
this will be useful, since you'll lose access to options such as
RightEdgeScroll and any scroll buttons you may have.

--Paul Vojta, vojta at math.berkeley.edu