Constant DPI regardless of resolution

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Tue Jul 1 12:47:15 PDT 2008

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 06:10 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>> I'm on VESA for running natively and xf86-vmware for running in a VM.  I
>> was hoping for a "set and forget" option either in xorg's arguments or
>> xorg.conf rather than having to open the CLI and call xrandr each time I
>> switch resolution.
>
> RandR 1.2 passes the physical screen size from the client to the X
> server whenever the pixel size is set. If you want to fix the DPI,
> you'll need to fix whatever tool you use that sets the screen size.

I'm not really sure who is responsible for fixing it.  A fixed DPI means
that the physical screen dimensions are not constant.  Currently the X
server assumes those dimensions are constant.  With good reason; there
aren't any monitors out there made of gum (yet?)  However, with DFPs
that are set not to scale, the wanted behavior is really that of a
stretchy monitor made of gum.  It's like disconnecting the bigger
display and connecting a smaller one while X runs (without restarting).

The only thorough way of fixing it IMO is a setting in the X server that
basically says "trust the user; don't be smart in calculating DPI;
simply trust what the user said and keep DPI constant no matter what."