stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Wed Jan 23 17:08:41 PST 2008

From: Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 02:25:01 +1100

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:24:39PM +0100, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> > Lukas Hejtmanek a écrit :
> > > What makes you think that non modular drivers will be synced with X server
> > > changes? It is up to maintainers to watch X server changes and make patches as
> > > appropriate.
> >
> > In Kernel Land (tm), if you modify a subsystem (say the USB one), you
> > get to fix all the bundled drivers before Linus et al. accept your
> > patch. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the driver still works as
> > intended, but that at least it builds.
>
> Except for drivers which aren't built by default (a lot of them), which
> get compilation breakages.

People do "make allmodconfig" builds of the kernel to validate the
compilation of all the modules.  I have this running on my system
constantly as I apply patches to the Linux kernel networking and
sparc GIT trees I maintain.

I even use cross-compile tool chains to test other platforms I don't
have access to.

It's not rocket science.