stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sun Jan 20 06:02:40 PST 2008

From: Lukas Hejtmanek <xhejtman at ics.muni.cz>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:57:35 +0100

> What makes you think that non modular drivers will be synced with X server
> changes? It is up to maintainers to watch X server changes and make patches as
> appropriate.

Becuase the default xfree86.cf included all of these drivers
and your build would fail if you didn't fix up the drivers.

And if not you, then the next developer using anything even
approximating the default config.

Because the drivers are in another source tree, somewhere else,
it makes it easier for developers to be lazy and not even
attempt to compile things their changes might have broken.

That sucks.

> Yes, I know that current tree of X server and drivers does not
> build. But I don't care. And I even do not know why I should build
> all the drivers if I do not need them.

That's an extremely poor engineering standard, and I hope that
most X developers disagree with you.

When a developer makes interface changes the first thing they
need to do is validate that the source still builds.

If we cannot even agree on that, we have very serious problems.