new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 8 08:28:53 PST 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Well I've fought my way through to a complete compile! And now a new
> error...Murphy lives!
>
> So, I pulled the full git xorg, then changed to the xvmc branch and
> added that (Thank you Zhenyu and Dan!)
> It took a few tries, and I ended up deleting a whack of un-needed video
> drivers to speed up the attempts. I did not touch any of the other
> portions of the tree.
>
> No-one has explained how I can test the new driver/libraries, so I ended
> up making copyies of the usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/include, and /usr/share
> directories as backup, then copying the respective /tmp/modular folders
> into the respective /usr folder...a quick ldconfig and depmod...then a
> re-boot..
>
> And the box boots to a console login. So I tried startx..
>
> And startx fails with this message:
>
> (II) LoadModule: "intel"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
> (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>          compiled for 1.4.99.1, module version = 2.2.0
>          Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>          ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 3.0
> (EE) module ABI major version (3) doesn't match the server's version (1)
> (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
>
> "Module requirement mismatch"
>
> So I am clearly attempting to load the correct (new) driver (1.4.99.1
> for 2.2.0), but which/what server is it (not) finding...Note that I
> copied all the new git versions into the /usr tree and ran ldconfig. It
> finds the new one, so the copy portion worked, but something else is wrong..
>
> A comment on a Ubuntu site said that to fix this, to add a stanza to
> gdm.comf ending with --noABI (from memory..something like that). I added
> the stanza to kdmrc.. but no joy.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

The top of your log file would probably point that you are using your
original X binary - unless it alos reports 1.4.99.1 then something is
mismatched.

FWIW, I would have compiled everything with a --prefix configure option
outside of your /usr tree.... (e.g. --prefix=/opt/newx). YOu would have
needed to set PKGCONFIG_DIR (or something like that) so that subsequent
configures/compiles will find previously configured/compiled stuff but
that's easy enough.

Col