new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 8 07:53:54 PST 2008

Well I've fought my way through to a complete compile! And now a new
error...Murphy lives!

So, I pulled the full git xorg, then changed to the xvmc branch and
added that (Thank you Zhenyu and Dan!)
It took a few tries, and I ended up deleting a whack of un-needed video
drivers to speed up the attempts. I did not touch any of the other
portions of the tree.

No-one has explained how I can test the new driver/libraries, so I ended
up making copyies of the usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/include, and /usr/share
directories as backup, then copying the respective /tmp/modular folders
into the respective /usr folder...a quick ldconfig and depmod...then a
re-boot..

And the box boots to a console login. So I tried startx..

And startx fails with this message:

(II) LoadModule: "intel"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         compiled for 1.4.99.1, module version = 2.2.0
         Module class: X.Org Video Driver
         ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 3.0
(EE) module ABI major version (3) doesn't match the server's version (1)
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

"Module requirement mismatch"

So I am clearly attempting to load the correct (new) driver (1.4.99.1
for 2.2.0), but which/what server is it (not) finding...Note that I
copied all the new git versions into the /usr tree and ran ldconfig. It
finds the new one, so the copy portion worked, but something else is wrong..

A comment on a Ubuntu site said that to fix this, to add a stanza to
gdm.comf ending with --noABI (from memory..something like that). I added
the stanza to kdmrc.. but no joy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Geoff