new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 8 09:40:32 PST 2008

 > Colin Guthrie wrote:
 > > R. G. Newbury wrote
 > > And startx fails with this message:
 > >
 > > (II) LoadModule: "intel"
 > > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
 > > (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
 > >          compiled for 1.4.99.1, module version = 2.2.0
 > >          Module class: X.Org Video Driver
 > >          ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 3.0
 > > (EE) module ABI major version (3) doesn't match the server's
version (1)
 > > (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
 > > (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
 > > (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
 > >
 > > "Module requirement mismatch"
 > >
 > > So I am clearly attempting to load the correct (new) driver (1.4.99.1
 > > for 2.2.0), but which/what server is it (not) finding.

 > The top of your log file would probably point that you are using your
 > original X binary - unless it alos reports 1.4.99.1 then something is
 > mismatched.

 > FWIW, I would have compiled everything with a --prefix configure
 > option outside of your /usr tree.... (e.g. --prefix=/opt/newx). YOu
 > would have needed to set PKGCONFIG_DIR (or something like that) so
 > that subsequent configures/compiles will find previously
 > configured/compiled stuff but that's easy enough.

I am not near that machine, so I cannot check the log, but I would think
that it would not be using the old X binary as it should have been
overwritten by the new one.
I did build the whole thing outside of the usr tree, following the
instructions on the X.org wiki. The build script was amended to prepend
  the correct path to the script, and the prefix was set also, so
everything got built at (as it happens) /video2/temp/tmp/modular. The
source was at ..../tmp/src. Modular's folders were actually rsync'd over
the /usr folders using -avu

So it should be using the new binary anyway.

THanks for the quick reply. I did look at Xorg.0.log but I did not look
specifically for that..I will

Any other thoughts?
Geoff