Problem compiling / setting up MPX

Sun Jan 6 16:41:37 PST 2008

Joel Bosveld wrote:
> First off, while compiling xserver, it would fail on xserver/hw/kdrive/vesa.
> Line 114 of vm86.h (IIRC), complaining about the type (can't remember the
> exact message, and I deleted the log). Looking at the header file though, I
> think it was because of a missing definiton of struct vm86_struct (should
> have been defined by sys/vm_86.h, but this file includes asm/vm_86.h, which
> includes asm-x86/vm_86.h if 32bit, and does nothing if 64bit (which is why I
> assume it is because of a missing definition, because struct vm86_struct is
> defined in asm-x86/vm_86.h)

Thanks, I'll look into it. looks like it's missing a merge from master,
since don't think I ever touched this file.

> > To get past that I modified autogen.sh and changed --enable-kdrive to
> --disable-kdrive, which seemed to work fine. However, if I try start X with
> startx or xinit it will break (it appears as if I can't move cursor or
> change vt's, however, if I do change vts and shutdown, or "ps aux > log
> 2>&1" something actually happens, just nothing appears on my screen (and
> also, ps aux shows that X isn't running...)). However, starting X with
> "Xorg" works fine (except I need alt+sysreq+r to change to a vt from where I
> can launch twm, xwd or mpwm)

ok, now this sounds a bit weird. xinit choosing the right binary?

> However, even if I have two mice plugged in (and setup in xorg.conf) I still
> end up with only one cursor... (this is my current problem, but it may be
> related to the above, which is why I included the above) I have attached my
> xorg.conf and also Xorg.0.log

this is intentional behaviour. unless a user explicitly wants to have
two cursors, they shouldn't even notice mpx is there.

in your case, you will need the xinput tool to create a new master.
compile the mpx branch from
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/xinput

and then run

$> xinput --create-master foobar
this will create a "foobar pointer" and a "foobar keyboard" device and a
new cursor+kbd focus.
$> xinput --reattach 5 6
this will reattach device 5 to device 6. modify appropriately to attach
your mouse to foobar pointer.

Cheers,
    Peter