Problem compiling / setting up MPX

Joel Bosveld joel.bosveld at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:34:35 PST 2008

Hi,

I have been trying to compile MPX and have had a few problems (current
problem is in third paragraph, but I included the next 2 paragraphs as the
may be relevant, and could probably be fixed anyways).

First off, while compiling xserver, it would fail on xserver/hw/kdrive/vesa.
Line 114 of vm86.h (IIRC), complaining about the type (can't remember the
exact message, and I deleted the log). Looking at the header file though, I
think it was because of a missing definiton of struct vm86_struct (should
have been defined by sys/vm_86.h, but this file includes asm/vm_86.h, which
includes asm-x86/vm_86.h if 32bit, and does nothing if 64bit (which is why I
assume it is because of a missing definition, because struct vm86_struct is
defined in asm-x86/vm_86.h)

To get past that I modified autogen.sh and changed --enable-kdrive to
--disable-kdrive, which seemed to work fine. However, if I try start X with
startx or xinit it will break (it appears as if I can't move cursor or
change vt's, however, if I do change vts and shutdown, or "ps aux > log
2>&1" something actually happens, just nothing appears on my screen (and
also, ps aux shows that X isn't running...)). However, starting X with
"Xorg" works fine (except I need alt+sysreq+r to change to a vt from where I
can launch twm, xwd or mpwm)

However, even if I have two mice plugged in (and setup in xorg.conf) I still
end up with only one cursor... (this is my current problem, but it may be
related to the above, which is why I included the above) I have attached my
xorg.conf and also Xorg.0.log

- Joel