[RFC] Xorg symbols that should not be public

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Dec 8 19:18:04 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 12:36:01AM -0200, Paulo C?sar Pereira de Andrade wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   In my Linux x86 computer, using only git master, and with X Server
> configured with "--prefix=/usr --disable-builtin-fonts --enable-dri2
> --enable-dri --enable-xephyr"
>
>   With all buildable modules also installed, attached is the list
> of symbols that are not used by any module.
>
>   There are 2 main kinds of symbols that should be public:
> o Symbols accessed by input/video modules
> o Symbols accessed by extensions or other kind of modules
>
>   And of course, there is a large amount of symbols in the list
> that should not be exported. And some should have a stub when
> some feature is disabled.
>
>   I think some private headers, for things like libextmod, libxaa,
> libfb, etc, should be created, still with symbols exported at
> first, to guarantee binary compatibility. But some symbols that
> are currently exported should be made private, and not advertised
> in the sdk, as they are only used in the X Server binary.

Hi Paulo,

Of these, we need the following:

LoaderGetABIVersion
LoaderShouldIgnoreABI
miCreateAlphaPicture
noRenderExtension
PictureMatchVisual
xf86AddGeneralHandler
xf86DeregisterStateChangeNotificationCallback
xf86DisableGeneralHandler
xf86EnableGeneralHandler
xf86RemoveGeneralHandler
XineramaVisualsEqualPtr