intel g33 driver bug? Configured by SuSE 10.3 (sax2)

Thomas Mellman tmellman at web.de
Thu Oct 25 22:08:42 PDT 2007

I am encountering unpleasant X behavior after upgrading to an Intel GMA
3100 (G33) graphics device and SuSE 10.3.
The driver selected is the "intel" driver.

*Symptom:*

    Sax presents the XFINE2 test/configuration dialog, the
    dimensions/orientation buttons can be actuated, but no change to the
    characteristics of the display occur.  The On Screen Display says
    91.3kHz/85Hz 1280x1024 no matter what value the test was rated at
    (in the sax setup dialog, where the test resolution is entered).

*Symptom:*

    xvidtune starts but when an attempt is made to execute the "test",
    an error dialog is presented with the message: "Sorry: you have
    requested a mode-line That is not possible, or not supported by your
    hardware configuration" - even if when no changes are made to the
    configuration.

*Symptom:*

    Although I have at least 4 resolutions defined in the Screens
    section, the ctl-alt-[+-] chord performs no change.

*Symptom:*

    Even if I attempt a lower resolution, such as 800x600, sax still
    reports 1280x1024.

*Symptom:*

    I have Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf files for this monitor where it runs
    flawlessly at 1600x1200 - using the SIS Chipset.

I have attached two Xorg.0.log files - the first one using the "intel"
driver, the second using the "sis" driver - both with the same monitor.
I was unsuccessful to force the use of the i810 driver.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.