Input issues with CompositeOverlayWindow

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Thu Nov 22 00:46:32 PST 2007

Hi all,

I've been hired by INRIA [1] to work on Metisse [2] which some of you
may already know from last year's FOSDEM [3].

As part of my work, I've decided to "port" metisse to current xorg
extensions, including composite but I'm running into some input related
issues right now.

I'm trying to use the CompositeOverlayWindow to render stuff but I can't
get any input from it. All the clicks and keyboard events go right
through the overlay directly to the underlying windows. The same code
behaves as expected if I use XCreateSimpleWindow.

I tried using various combinations of XFixesSetWindowShapeRegion,
XMapRaised, XMoveResizeWindow (for the sake of it), to no avail. I tried
comparing with compiz and KWin and I don't even know if they actually
get input from the overlay or if they want the clicks and key presses to
go through.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

[1] http://www.inria.fr/index.en.html