Input issues with CompositeOverlayWindow

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 02:36:00 PST 2007

2007/11/22, Rémi Cardona <remi at gentoo.org>:
> I'm trying to use the CompositeOverlayWindow to render stuff but I can't
> get any input from it. All the clicks and keyboard events go right
> through the overlay directly to the underlying windows. The same code
> behaves as expected if I use XCreateSimpleWindow.

FWIW, I had the exact opposite experience just now. I didn't realize
that the overlay is getting the input and was baffled why clicking  on
anything didn't work... For me, the fix was:

 XShapeCombineShape(my->display,
                     my->composite_overlay, ShapeInput, 0, 0,
                     my->composite_overlay, ShapeInput, ShapeInvert);

Maybe you could try that to determine if it is a bug in the server or
just that some client code empties the input shape?

I'm using xephyr from a 1.1.1 server sources (apparently, debian etch
package) for testing.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi