Announcing free software drivers for the new Intel® 965GM Express Chipset

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon May 14 17:22:45 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 01:16 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> I'm really looking forward to a lazy week-end with the programming docs
> for Intel hardware.  (I'd also love to get my grubby hands on the BIOS
> listing, but that's probably asking too much.)

Well, the first weekend I spent with the Gen4 docs were involved in
getting textured video to work when we learned that the video overlay
was not supported in the 965G. Not exactly a lazy weekend, but I did
have the engine painting YUV textures on Monday morning.

I'm also not quite sure what value the BIOS listing would have; our
modesetting driver does far more with the hardware than the BIOS does at
this point. We've occasionally referred to the BIOS to help explain
intricate timing details of modesetting, but so far, we've mostly been
more confused than helped by it. But, I guess more docs are always good,
even if they aren't all that helpful most of the time.

And, yes, the BIOS really is written in assembler. Hard to believe,
isn't it.

keith.packard at intel.com